Six Outstanding Student Athletes Selected in Week 1 of Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week Program
- Class 6A – Caden Davis, Sr., Kicker, Coppell
- Class 5A – Tanner Prewit, Sr., Quarterback, Dripping Springs
- Class 4A – Chase Petter, Sr., Linebacker, Argyle
- Class 3A – Ameer Lee, Sr., Running Back / Defensive Back, Groesbeck
- Class 2A – Ty Patterson, Sr., Tight End / Linebacker, Linden-Kildare
- Private schools – Grant Gunnell, Sr., Quarterback, Houston St. Pius X
PLANO, Texas, Sept. 5, 2018 – Six Texas high school football stars have been recognized in the first week of the 2018 Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week program.
In its thirteenth consecutive year, Ford Motor Company’s Player of the Week program is again honoring six outstanding student-athletes each week of the 2018 regular season, recognizing one player in each of the state’s six athletic classifications. The winners are chosen for athletic achievements on the field, as well as for outstanding scholarship and community involvement. These players are the embodiment of Ford’s Go Further commitment.
This week’s winning athletes join a long list of remarkable players recognized for their exceptional efforts.
Week 1 Winners
Class 6-A: Caden Davis, Sr., Kicker, Coppell
With just one second left in the game, Coppell kicker Caden Davis scored a game winning field goal for a 30-28 victory over the Sachse Mustangs. The field goal from 57 yards in the Friday night season opener was a thriller. In all, Caden scored 12 points (3 field goals from 42, 29, 57 yards and 3 extra points).
- Allaso Ranch camp counselor
- VBS volunteer at The Door Church
- Austin Street Shelter volunteer
- CCE Genius Hour mentor
- Alex’s Lemonade Stand fundraiser for pediatric cancer
- A/B honor roll
- National Honor Society
- Max Preps 2nd Team All American 10th, 11th
- Kohls All American Kicker 10th, 11th
- 1st Team All State 11th
- District Special Teams MVP 11th
- First Team All-Area 11th
Class 5-A: Tanner Prewit, Sr., Quarterback, Dripping Springs
Fans at Tiger Stadium in Dripping Springs witnessed a spectacular season opener, as Senior Dripping Springs quarterback Tanner Prewit passed for 273 yards, added another 183 yards rushing and accounted for six of his team’s seven touchdowns in a 48-38 win over the Kerrville Tivy Antlers.
- Member of the Team Leadership Council Program
- Captain of the football team
- Plays multiple sports, including wrestling
Class 4-A: Chase Petter, Sr., Linebacker, Argyle
The top-ranked Argyle did not disappoint on Friday night. Standout linebacker Chase Petter contributed to that well-fought victory over the Stephenville Yellow Jackets with 16 tackles, including five for a loss and five sacks in the 45-35 win.
- National Honor Society
- Young Men’s Service League
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Top 10% of his class
- 2017 4A Defensive Player of the Year-AP
Class 3-A: Ameer Lee, Sr., Running Back / Defensive Back, Groesbeck
Groesbeck senior Ameer Lee took the ball and ran with it on Friday night as the Goats beat the Rice Bulldogs 60-3. The running back/defensive back had 424 total yards, with 4 touchdowns. This team leader has a strong work ethic and great versatility in all aspects of the game, according to his coaches.
Class 2-A: Ty Patterson, Sr., Tight End / Linebacker, Linden-Kildare
In a 40-26 win over the Hooks Hornets, tight end/linebacker Ty Patterson recorded 25 tackles, forced a fumble, returned a fumble 99 yards for a touchdown, and returned an interception 60 yards for another touchdown. He also caught five passes for 54 yards.
- Student Council
- Multi-sports player: track, tennis and basketball
Private schools – Grant Gunnell, Sr., Quarterback, Houston St. Pius X
This is the second Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week win for Grant Gunnell, quarterback for Houston St. Pius X Private School. The 12th ranked Panthers defeated Beaumont United Friday night 55-21.
Nominate your elite student-athlete at PlayeroftheWeek.com
Students recognized by Ford Motor Company, Texas Ford dealers and the Built Ford Tough media advisory board as Players of the Week excel in three categories:
- Individual performance on the field, including significant game statistics
- Contribution to the team’s success through individual leadership abilities
- Performance off the field, including academic success and good community citizenship
Fans, coaches and media can nominate athletes at PlayeroftheWeek.com, as well as catch up with winners, view video clips of players in action and get the latest program details.
Additionally, fans can catch all the action on Fox Sports Southwest. The network is again teaming with Ford and Texas Ford dealers to keep up with award winners through its weekly television show. Each week, television crews will travel to communities across Texas, spotlighting players who excel on the field, in the classroom and in their communities. The half-hour Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week program will air on Fridays at 8:00PM, with a re-broadcast at 8:30AM on Saturday.
Ford F-Series: The best-selling truck for 41 years
Ford is the undisputed truck leader in Texas. Ford F-Series sets the standard for full-size pickups with leading payload, towing, interior roominess, strength and reliability. Ford is proud to recognize the Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Players of the Week.