Timpson Bears Lose Home Opener to the Alto Yellowjackets


The Timpson Bears kicked off their first home game last Friday night but came up short with a 45-0 loss to the Alto Yellowjackets.   Ranked 17th in State 2A-1, the Yellowjackets came into John Herbert Eakin Stadium ready to battle and the Bears had their hands full from the start.  

Alto won the toss and chose to defer, the Bears Tutt caught the kick but fumbled the ball and the Yellowjackets recovered.  The next play was a 33 yd touchdown pass and with a successful kick, the Yellowjackets took an early lead, 7-0. Kobe Grogan was met immediately on the Bears first possession and QB Courtney was then sacked for a 12 yd loss.  Alto's #10 received the first personal foul which moved the ball to the 45 but the Bears were unable to score.  

Quarterback Braden Courtney with a touchdown-saving tackle stopped Alto's drive into Bears territory with 4:30 left in the first quarter.  Bears Kobe Grogan then intercepted at the 7 yd line and with a pass from Courtney to Trey Davis, the Bears drive into Yellowjacket territory.  The first quarter ended with the score still 7-0.

The second quarter was plagued by laundry on the field.  A false start had the Bears on the 40-yard line, then a holding call moved them deeper.  After a hard run was brought back by yet another holding call, Courtney's snap was met by a group of Yellowjackets for a sack on the play and loss of yardage.  The Bears lost the ball on downs. 

The Yellowjackets drove hard into Bear territory and with a facemask call, the ball was just shy of the goal line.  On fourth down, Alto's quarterback completed an 11-yard TD pass. The score was 14-0 after a successful extra point attempt.  The Bears were met immediately after the kick-off and took possession on their own 32. After another Bears penalty, Chris Lewis had the ball knocked loose and the Yellowjackets recovered and crossed the goal line.  However, the refs called the ball dead on the 23. Alto then drove in to score with 3:52 remaining in the first half. The Yellowjackets kicked wide but with a flag on the play, the ball moved to the 1-yard line. The Bears Courtney foiled the attempt and the PAT failed leaving the score 20-0. 

The Bears took over on their own 42 but Courtney threw an interception and Alto gained possession.  Then, with 43 seconds remaining, the Yellowjackets put 6 more points on the board with another TD run.  At halftime, the Yellowjackets led 26-0.

Alto received to begin the third quarter and drove the ball to the 14 before being brought down by the Bears Zach Molloy.  After moving to just outside the 10, Page, Sample and Bush stopped the drive with a loss of yardage on the play. Another tackle by Davis and Crockett held them to 3rd and goal but with a quarterback sneak, the Jackets ran the ball for another touchdown.  The extra point was blocked but with a penalty on the play, Alto got a second attempt but that also failed. Alto led 32-0.

The ball was then taken by Tutt at the Bears 35 yard line.  QB Courtney passed to the right to #8 Foster who was brought down at the Jackets 45.  The Bears would have to punt and the Yellowjackets were able to run that in for a touchdown, yet there were flags on the play.  A personal foul against Alto brought the ball back to the 32. After a hard run into Bear territory, the ball was stopped by Foster.  The third quarter ended with the score 32-0.

A Yellowjackets drive began the fourth quarter but Grogan stopped a touchdown run on the Bears 16-yard line.  A late hit by the Bears and the ball was moved to the 7, just shy of the goal line. The Yellowjackets put another 7 on the board and added even more to their lead, 39-0.

Late in the fourth, the Bears were getting nowhere running up the middle and eventually had to punt the ball.  Another Yellowjackets drive took them deep to the Bears 19. They were then able to scamper into the endzone and score.  The first kick was wide but with a Bears penalty, the Jackets got a second opportunity, which also failed. Alto led 45-0 with 4:39 remaining in the game.  Alto kicked and was able to recover the ball but could never find the endzone. The final score was 45-0.

This Friday, September 13th will be the Timpson Bears Homecoming game.  This is a non-conference game against the Big Sandy Wildcats. Festivities will begin with a parade at 2 pm and the game will begin at 7:30.  Show your Bear Spirit with this week's Homecoming ribbons on sale now.