William Carrol Crawford Chapter, DRT, meet jointly with SRT
Tour made of home formerly Center Sanatarium
The William Carroll Crawford Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas held a joint meeting with the Sons of the Republic of Texas at the Samford Masonic Hall on Saturday, September 8, 2018 and enjoyed a luncheon provided by the DRT officers. Reminiscent of those days of the Republic of Texas (1836-1845), there was no electricity to brighten or to cool the hall. Hand fans were provided for attendees to cool themselves while the meeting progressed.
Following lunch and the business meeting, during which President Judy Lee entreated members to come up with fundraiser ideas to be able to present scholarships in the spring to college-bound seniors of members, the entourage caravanned to the site on CR 2788 where the old Center Sanatarium (hospital) had been moved.
The house is currently owned by the David Chadwicks, who bought it from its previous owners, the Calvin Smiths, who had the home moved to its present site and painstakingly restored it. The Chadwicks graciously allowed the DRT and SRT members to tour the home. [A later article will give the history of the home.]