• Article Image Alt Text

Useful information for upcoming Primary Elections you may want to know

With the upcoming Primary Election fast approaching, I wanted to give some useful information that may help our elderly, disabled, military, or out of town voters make sure they know they have options to vote by mail.

If you are over 65 or disabled, you may call the County Clerk's office and request an Application to Vote By Mail. You only need to do this once per year, but it must be done every January.  We will be more than happy to send you the application, and once you fill it out and sign it, you can send it back to us and you will get a ballot for each election this year.  You must indicate which party you'd like a ballot for.  Please note, several outside sources not associated with our office will send you applications to vote by mail with the County Clerk's return address on it. Please be mindful of what you sign and return. Some people mistake these for an application to register to vote, then are surprised to find when they come to vote in person that we've mailed them a ballot.  If we mail a ballot to your house and you choose to come in and vote in person, you must bring the mailed ballot in and surrender it to our office before you can vote in person. Once you send us one application, there is no need to send in anything else. Also, some of the other applications you receive from another source may already be marked for a specific political party, so please be sure if you send one of these requests in it is marked for the correct party you wish to vote for. 

If you plan to be out of town during the election, you may also request a ballot by mail. However, if you request a ballot by mail due to absence from the county during the election, we must mail your ballot to an address outside of the county. We can also mail ballots to any college students living outside Shelby County that are still registered here.


Anyone that is serving in the Armed Forces can visit FVAP.GOV  for a request for ballot by mail for military personnel.  Those may be mailed to Shelby County Clerk, P.O. Box 1987, Center, TX 75935 or emailed to shelbycountyclerk@yahoo.com.


February 3rd is the last day to REGISTER to vote in the March Primary.  If you need to register to vote, you may do so at the Voter Registrars office at the courthouse.  


Please feel free to contact the Shelby County Clerk's office at 936-598-6361 if you have any questions at all.  

East Texas Press

PO Box 2594
Lindale, TX 75771
Office: (936) 254-5050

Subscriber Links